We love sweet spicy bacon, especially on pizza. But it works just eating the strips on their own. A local restaurant calls then piggy sticks. My wife likes blue cheese, but I do not care for it that much. So half of this pizza has blue cheese, the other half has feta. Whatever you like. You could also sprinkle arugula after it comes out of the oven and top with olive and lemon juice. But whatever fresh herbs you like is perfect. For the crust, you can make your own pizza dough, buy pizza dough, or use one of those ready made crusts. To be lazy, we like Stone Fire Pizza Crusts or their Naan as a base. We topped this pizza with fresh basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Yum! And the I added sun dried tomatoes and then at the end, I sprinkled smoked sea salt on it.
Chipotle Candied Bacon Pizza
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 8 ounces smoked blue cheese or 8 ounces feta
- fresh herbs for topping
- balsamic vinegar
- pizza dough or crust
- Place a pizza stone inside your oven on the middle rack.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- You most definitely need a pizza peel for this.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon.
- Cook until some of the fat has rendered but the bacon is NOT crispy yet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and chili powder.
- Sprinkle it over the bacon and toss and stir.
- Cook until the bacon is just starting to get crispy.
- You do not want it very crispy or else it will burn in the oven, but you do want the fat released.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Place it on a paper towel to drain any excess grease and slightly cool.
- Prepare your pizza dough or use a ready to go pizza crust.
- Brush the dough with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the fontina cheese on the dough to help everything stick.
- Add the bacon and the blue cheese( or feta) crumbles evenly.
- Open the oven and gently slip the pizza from the peel to the stone.
- Bake the pizza for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Keep and eye on it since the oven is so hot and stones can differ.
- It will be done when the crust is crispy and cheese is golden.
- Remove the pizza by sliding it back onto the pizza peel.
- Top with fresh herbs and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Slice and serve immediately!