This is some great comfort food on an autumn day. Since anything Cajun is good with rice, serve over rice!
Cajun Chicken Thighs Veggie Skillet
- 4 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cajun spice mix, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 scallions, sliced for garnish
- Preheat the oven in broiler mode.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt, pepper, and cajun spices.
- In a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the chicken skin side side down and cook until well browned.
- Then flip and cook on the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Drain any residual oil, just keep a little for the onion.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and stir.
- Add the carrots, garlic, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in the skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are beginning to brown
- Gradually mix in the broth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the bottom of the oven and broil for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped scallion.
- Divide the chicken and vegetables among plates and serve immediately.