This is a very nice comfort dish, and a one skillet meal.
Arroz con Pollo
- 1 tsp annatto seeds
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, medium dice
- 1 roma tomato, medium dice
- 1 jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 4 chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, room temperature
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 lime. cut into wedges
- Heat the annatto seeds in the oil over medium-low heat until just starting to sizzle.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep until the oil cools to room temperature.
- Strain the seeds from the oil and discard the seeds.
- While the oil cools, make the sofrito.
- Combine onion, tomato, jalapeno,garlic, half bell pepper, and spices in a food processor.
- Process until uniform, but not smooth.
- Warm the annatto oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Place the chicken thighs in the oil, skin-side-down; cook until brown and crispy.
- Turn and brown the other side.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside; reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1 cup of the sofrito to the pan.
- Saute, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sofrito takes on an oily texture.
- Add the rice and stock, stir to combine, then bring to a simmer while stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken pieces and any accumulated juices, then scatter the peas and bell pepper over the top.
- Cover (leave a little space for air to escape), reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until the chicken is tender and the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.