I was thinking about Asian flavors and slow cooking. So I decided to slow cook some chuck. I think this out very flavorful, and the meet was very tender. I am not sure anyone in China or nearby ever cooked it this way, but we still liked it. It was kind of an Asian Pot Roast.
Slow Cooker Asian Braised Beef
- 3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes, excess fat trimmed
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions,thinly sliced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 stalks lemongrass, cut into pieces and pounded
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge cut beef into flour mixture.
- Shake off any excess flour. Set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet, add vegetable oil and warm up over medium heat.
- Once warm, brown beef in batches.
- Do not fully cook meat, you just want to have a nice crust.
- Place seared beef in slow cooker.
- In the same skillet you cooked beef, add minced garlic and ginger.
- Cook until fragrant.
- Add lemongrass and cook until garlic begins to brown.
- Add red pepper flakes and chicken broth.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and Sriracha.
- Add to slow cooker and add green onions on top.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high heat, or 6-8 hours on low heat.
- Serve with rice, noodles or crusty bread.