Thought I would try something new for me, but probably a staple in times past. I like to use roasted corn kernels because it adds additional flavor.
Skillet Tamale Pie
- 4 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 ear corn roasted and kernels cut from cob
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pounds 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes with chiles
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine cornbread, corn, 1½ cups cheese, and seasonings in a bowl.
- Heat oil in large heatproof skillet over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Cook onion and jalapeno until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat stir in remaining cheese.
- Arrange cornbread mixture evenly over filling.
- Bake until cornbread is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.