Just needed something quick, easy, and hearty. Easy dish to make when you don’t know what to cook and are in a hurry. Made this the night we got back from a college visit. You can use whatever short pasta you like.
- 1 pound Italian Sausage, sweet or hot
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound rotini
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- small handful fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- In a large deep skillet, brown Italian sausage.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon to a paper towel.
- Leave oil from sausage in skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Add seasonings and cook until fragrant.
- De-glaze with red wine.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, and water.
- Stir in rotini and cook until al dente.
- Sir in ricotta and parmesan cheese.
- Top with fresh basil and serve with additional parmesan cheese.