Here is an interesting take on oven fried chicken. Coating the chicken with fresh herbs before applying the breading gives it a nice fresh taste. The addition of panko bread crumbs gives it an extra crunch.
Italian Oven Fried Chicken
- 8 chicken drumsticks (bone in, skin on)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp each fresh rosemary, thyme and sage, chopped
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix olive oil and fresh chopped herbs together in a large bowl.
- Add chicken drumsticks and rub olive oil mixture into the meat.
- Place both types of breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- One by one, dredge each coated drumstick in the Italian breadcrumbs mixture.
- Press the crumbs on to the meat to form a light crust.
- Once all drumsticks have been coated, place the chicken in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes of baking, remove the drumsticks from the oven and rotate each piece.
- Cook for an additional 25 minutes (could be slightly less or more, depending on the size of your pieces).
- Serve immediately.