Stronboli is why I wanted an easy pizza dough recipe. A stromboli is basically a rectangular pizza folded over itself a couple of times. Below is how I made mine on Sunday, but just like a pizze, use what ever sounds good to you. I used my red sauce, but made it thicker and more herby.
- Easy Pizza Dough
- Red Sauce, divided
- 8 ounces your favorite pizza cheese, grated
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 1/2 green pepper, small dice
- 12 thin slices Buon Gusto Salami
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to a large rectangle.
- Spoon on 8 tablespoons of pizza sauce on the dough.
- Spread it over 3/4 of the pizza dough.
- Leave a 1/2 inch border on three sides and a 2 inch border on the longer side.
- Sprinkle with half of the grated mozzarella.
- Top with the onion, green pepper, and salami.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash.
- Fold over the three half inch sides and using the parchment paper, roll the dough 1/3 of the way.
- Grab the other side of the parchment, the side with the 2 inch border, and fold it over the rest of the way.
- Position the stromboli in the center of the pan, seam-side down.
- Brush the entire thing with egg wash and make diagonal slits for venting.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake for 15 minutes more.
- Remove and allow the stromboli to cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice into one inch strips.
- Serve alongside the remaining warm pizza sauce for dunking.