I cooked this last Saturday night, and it was delicious! Very hearty, cheesy, and filling after a long day at the robotics competition. Add a nice salad.
Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
- 1 pound Penne or Rigatoni
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into half inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 8 ounces, fresh mozzarella, cut Into medium cubes
- ¼ cup parmesan, freshly shredded
- extra parmesan, for serving
- 12 whole basil leaves, chiffonade
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces in a single layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook without stirring for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir chicken around to brown on all sides.
- Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the onions, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and cook until almost evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the crushed tomatoes.
- Stir until the onions and garlic are mixed in, then add the chicken back into the pan.
- Add the parsley and oregano, stir to combine, then allow to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Make sure the sauce is bubbly and very hot, then gently stir in the mozzarella.
- Let it sit, undisturbed, for 2 to 3 minutes, until you can see that the mozzarella is very soft.
- Drain the pasta and pour it onto a platter.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil. Immediately sprinkle on 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan.
- Pour on the sauce, sprinkle with extra Parmesan and the chiffonade of Basil, and serve immediately!