Yesterday, the temperature in my backyard was 67 degrees. Today, it is 16 degrees. The weather in Colorado at this time of year likes to tease you. One day it is spring like, and the next it is back to winter. This soup reminds me of that. Bright festive flavors dance on your tongue like spring, but it is a warm soup to comfort you in the cold weather. Make up your mind Colorado! In the meantime, I will warm my innards with this soup while I dream of spring.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 1 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 jalapeño, small dice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5-ounce), drained
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Your favorite garnishes: tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream, etc.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in chili powder and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add broth and chicken and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken; cool and shred into small pieces.
- Return shredded chicken to pot.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes.