This is a very fast Asian dish you can create very quickly. You can get all your ingredients together while you are cooking the rice. Serve it with white, brown, or whip up some fried rice really quick. This is a very simple and tasty dish for a quick weeknight dinner.
Beef with Snow Peas
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp sherry or cooking sherry
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
- 3 Tbsp peanut or olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh snow peas, trimmed
- 5 whole scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces on the diagonal
- Crushed red pepper
- Your favorite rice, cooked according to directions
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, brown sugar and ginger.
- Add the beef to a separate bowl and pour one-third of the liquid over the top.
- Save the rest of the liquid. Toss the beef to evenly coat with marinade.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add the snow peas and stir for 45 seconds and get as much color on them as possible.
- Remove to a plate.
- Allow the skillet to get very hot again.
- With tongs, add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl.
- Spread out the meat as you add it to skillet, but do not stir for a good minute.
- Sprinkle half the scallions over the meat.
- Flip the meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove to a clean plate.
- Repeat with the other half of the meat, allowing the skillet to get very hot again first.
- After flipping, add the first plateful of meat, the reserved liquid, the crushed red pepper and snow peas.
- Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, and then turn off the heat.
- Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it.
- The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Serve immediately over rice.