Typically, dirty rice has chicken livers in it. I don’t really like chicken livers, so I am going to use Andouille sausage instead. I like that much better. This is a quick weeknight dish with lots of flavor. Pair it with a salad, and you have a complete meal.
Dirty Rice Bowls
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Andouille sausage links, medium dice
- 2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup red onion, medium dice
- ½ cup bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz. can of red kidney beans
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil
- Cook brown rice in broth according to package directions.
- Cut chicken breasts into long strips.
- Mix Old Bay Seasoning, paprika, salt, and sugar in a small bowl.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Coat both sides of the chicken strips with spice mixture.
- Sear chicken in oil for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place skillet in oven.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, heat remaining olive oil.
- Add onions, peppers, sausage, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add cooked rice and beans.
- Saute for a few minutes to heat through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate rice and top with chicken strips.
- Garnish with parsley.