Sometimes you need to put together dinner quickly because you forgot to thaw anything, and you did not stop at the store. I think Italian sausage would have been better with this dish, but beef smoked sausage from Hillshire Farms was what I had. I had some Red Sauce and Classic Pesto in the freezer, so I thawed those and offered them as toppings. I also toasted some quick garlic bread as well. This was definitely a 30 minute or less dinner including al the prep work.
Smoked Sausage, Peppers, and Polenta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package Hillshire Farm smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 green bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 tube pre-made polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over until shimmering.
- Add the sliced sausage and peppers.
- Sauté for 5-10 minutes, then remove from skillet.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Add the polenta slices and sauté each side until golden brown.
- Add peppers and sausage back into skillet and reheat.
- Serve immediately.
- Top with red sauce or pesto or parmesan.
- Or top with all three!