This is another cocktail from the wonderful book Speakeasy. This book is from the owners of the Employees Only bar in New York City. It is filled with re-imagined cocktails from the Prohibition Era. It is a great addition to your bar library. This particular cocktail is a seasonal take on a gin smash. I used Leopold Brothers Small Batch Gin in this gin smash as its mellower taste played better with the pear. I did not have the St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram or Pimento Liqueur that the book called for as it is not in my bar inventory. I think it would add another dimension to this drink and make it go even better with the season. I will have to find it and try this drink again.
Ginger Smash, Winter Season
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger root
- 5 thin slices Bartlet Pear
- 1 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces Leoplod Brothers Small Batch Gin
- 1 1/2 ounces Apfelkorn liqueur
- 3/4 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- In a Boston shaker glass, muddle the pear, ginger, and sugar.
- Pour in the gin, apple liqueur, and lemon juice.
- Add enough ice cubes to fill a rocks glass.
- Cover and shake hard to thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Pour unstrained into the rocks glass.
- Take a lemon peel and rub around the rim of the glass.
- Twist and top as a garnish.
- Also slide a thin pear slice on the rim of the glass.