This cocktail is from the wonderful book Speakeasy. This book is from the owners of the Employees Only bar in New York City. It is filled with re-imagined cocktails from the Prohibition Era. It is a great addition to your bar library. This particular cocktail is a seasonal take on a gin smash. The flavors of the ginger and cranberry play wonderfully with the gin. The taste reminds you that Thanksgiving is on its way. This drink can be tart from the cranberries, so you can always add some extra sugar. Also, if it is too strong, just top with club soda.
Ginger Smash, Winter Season
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger root
- 10 fresh whole cranberries
- 1 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces Plymouth Gin
- 1 1/2 ounces Apfelkorn liqueur
- 3/4 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- In a Boston shaker glass, muddle the cranberries, ginger, and sugar.
- Pour in the gin, apple liqueur, and lemon juice.
- Add enough ice cubes to fill a rocks glass.
- Cover and shake hard to thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Pour unstrained into the rocks glass.
- Take a lemon peel and rub around the rim of the glass.
- Twist and top as a garnish.