It is definitely fall in Colorado. A beautiful crisp autumn day deserves a heart soup. Sounds like beef vegetable soup!
Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 2 pounds blade steaks , trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and quartered
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
- Combine beef and soy sauce in medium bowl; set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion pieces are brown.
- Transfer vegetables to slow cooker.
- Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and meat starts to brown.
- Add tomato paste and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic.
- Add red wine, scraping bottom of skillet with wooden spoon and cook until syrupy.
- Add both broths, carrots, celery, and bay leaf to slow cooker.
- Add contents of skillet to slow cooker
- Set slow cooker to low and timer to 8 hours.
- When soup is almost done, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand.
- When soup is finished, turn off heat and remove bay leaf.
- Add gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved.
- Stir in parsley; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and serve.