This is another lovely slow cooker recipe that you can start in the morning, and come home to a wonderful aroma. I love this on cool, crisp fall days with colored leaves blowing in the golden sunshine.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 4 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 bouillon cubes or 4 tsp bouillon granules
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Pull out the roast thirty minutes before searing to bring it up in temperature a bit.
- Heat the two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the roast with salt and pepper.
- Once the pan is hot sear each side of the roast.
- Remove the roast and set aside.
- Turn off the heat and deglaze the pan with the half cup of red wine.
- Scrape the browned bits up with a wooden spoon.
- To a slow cooker; add the roast, onions, garlic, wine reduction, broth, water, soy sauce, and bouillon.
- Secure the lid and set the temp to or low for 7-8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the roast and shred with a couple of forks.
- Serve the shredded beef and onions on a sliced hoagie.
- Spoon some of the au jus in little bowls to dunk the sandwiches.