I am not a very big fan of macaroni and cheese, but my family likes it a lot. If I am going to make it, I am definitely not making it from a box! This recipe is simple and delicious and light years beyond the box. Next time you are in the mood for macaroni and cheese, give it a try. If you like your mac n’ cheese jazzed up, feel free to add bacon bits, jalapenos, etc.
Mac n’ Cheese
- 2 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bring water, salt, and oil to boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, bring back to a boil and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, evaporated milk, melted butter and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and add the pasta.
- Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and add the pasta mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and dust with paprika.
- Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.