This is a combination of my filling for Chicken Pot Pie and a recipe from Alton Brown for Pocket Pie dough. I reduced the amount of liquid so the ingredients would hold together better. This would make an awesome lunch on the go. Easy to eat out of your hand. I could think of lots of fillings that would be great in this. Give it a try.
Chicken Pocket Pie
- 2 cups cubed or shredded chicken
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 2 celery ribs, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 medium potato, diced small
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 Tbsp Poultry seasoning
- salt & pepper
- ¾ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup half & half
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tsp water
- Melt one tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet.
- Saute carrots and potatoes for 4 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, seasonings, and saute for another 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir continuously for an additional minute.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter and melt.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for another 4 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and broth stirring constantly.
- Add chicken and peas and stir until thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the shortening and knead it into the flour with your hands until it is crumbly.
- Add the milk all at once and mix in with a spatula until it begins to come together.
- Lightly flour your hands and the countertop and turn the dough out onto the countertop.
- Knead the dough ball, folding over 10 to 20 times.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut into rounds using a 2 1/4-inch ring.
- Roll each round as thinly as possible or to 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling onto the dough.
- Brush the edges of half of the dough lightly with the egg wash.
- Fold over and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork, dipping it into flour as needed.
- Gently press down to flatten and evenly distribute the filling and cut 3 slits in the top of the pie.
- Place finished pies onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.