Sometimes you just want to cook something quick and easy, but comforting. A grilled cheese sandwich is a perfect solution. It is also easy to customize to each individual and can use up awkward ingredients hiding out in your refrigerator. This is just one example that can get your creativity going. It can be a starting place to add additional ingredients, or just get you thinking about cheese, fruit, and nut pairings. Grilled cheese sandwiches also go great with those leftover soups you have in your freezer too. I decided to make some fresh potato chips to go with these sandwiches. No matter what you choose, it will be a great pear-ing. Sorry, I could not resist.
Gouda, Pear, and Walnut Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Sourdough bread slices
- Butter, softened
- Gouda, sliced to your liking
- Your favorite pear, sliced thin
- Walnuts, toasted and broken into pea sized pieces
- Your favorite sandwich toppings
- Spread softened butter on one side of bread.
- Place face down in skillet or on a griddle.
- Place gouda cheese slices on top of bread.
- Next place pear slices.
- Sprinkle toasted walnut pieces on top of pear.
- Add any additional toppings as you wish.
- Lastly, butter another bread slice and place on top, butter facing up.
- Turn on heat and grill until brown and toasty.
- Carefully flip to other side and press down hard.
- Toast remaining side until done.
- Place on plate and cut in half.
- Serve with your choice of side.