I made this yesterday as an accompaniment for the grilled chicken with maple whiskey glaze. This feels like an Italian side, so it was a little odd with this particular version of grilled chicken. It would be good with other Italian style dishes as an alternative to pasta. It can be served either warm or cold. I served it cold, but my family said they would have preferred it warm. It really needs a good dose of salt and fresh ground pepper right before serving. Also, make sure you mix it up one last time too.
Chickpea and Red Pepper Salad
- 1 red pepper, roasted and sliced
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the peppers into half-inch wide strips and put them in a large bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and the basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and oil.
- Pour over the chickpea mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate it for a day to get the flavors to mingle.