One of my favorite rums, and I have many, is the Appleton Estate Reserve 12 year old rum. It is made by Jamaica’s oldest continually run distillery sitting on the oldest sugar estate. It is the rum I use in Mai Tais and is also a very smooth sipping rum. The taste is what I think of when I think of rum. It mixes well in cocktails where you want to be able to highlight the taste of the rum. Below is one such cocktail. The Jamaican Breeze is perfect for a soft summer evening.
- 1 slice Fresh ginger
- 1.5 oz Appleton Estate Reserve Rum
- 2 oz Pineapple juice (fresh is best)
- 0.5 oz simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters (optional)
- Lime wheel
- In a shaker, muddle the ginger.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fill with ice.
- Shake it like you mean it.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.