I am still thinking about things we ate while on the Hawaiian Islands. While on Maui, we ate lunch at Coconut’s Fish Cafe. We had fish tacos topped with a wonderful tropical slaw that used coconut milk instead of mayonnaise. This is my attempt to recreate it. I quickly sauteed some mahi mahi with mexican spices in a very hot skillet for the fish part of the taco. To build the taco, I started with the tortilla and added some grilled tomato salsa. I then added the fish and put the tropical slaw on top of that and squeezed some lime juice over it. The tropical slaw replaces the shredded lettuce. These tasted pretty close to the ones we had on Maui. Give them a try with some of you favorite taco toppings.
- ½ cabbage, sliced very thin
- ½ jalapeno, small dice
- ¼ green bell pepper, sliced very thin
- ¼ ed bell pepper, sliced very thin
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, sliced very thin
- ¼ red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 mango, small dice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- If you have a mandolin, this is the time to use it.
- Very thinly, slice the cabbage, peppers, and onion into a bowl.
- Add coconut milk and mangoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and other spices.
- Toss to coat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.