We really like this quick and easy version of shepherd’s pie. One family member prefers it because they really hate mashed potatoes. The hash browns on top really work for them! I did not have frozen peas and carrots today, just frozen peas. So I diced some carrots and cooked them with the beef and onions and just added the peas at the end. Worked just fine.
Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots mix, thawed
- Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper in large bowl.
- Wrap tightly with plastic and microwave until potatoes are tender, 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook beef and onion in large skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in thyme and flour and cook until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and Worcestershire and cook until sauce is thickened, 8 minutes.
- Stir in pea and carrot medley and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter cooked potatoes over beef mixture and brush with remaining butter.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler.
- Broil until potatoes are golden brown.