Here is something different to do with pasta, cheese, and meat sauce.
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 ounces coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until slightly underdone.
- Toss pasta with 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, cook 2 minutes more.
- Add crushed tomatoes; simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Toss pasta with Parmesan cheese.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Tightly pack pasta into pan, standing each piece on end.
- Spread meat sauce on top of pasta.
- Push the meat sauce into the pasta holes filling each one up.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake another 10-15 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge to loosen and then unmold.
- Cut into wedges and serve with any remaining meat sauce you might have.