Tonight is one of those nights where there is too much going on, and I need to make something simple. I am just going to make some ground beef tacos. Simple does not have to mean boring though. What makes tacos interesting is either the taco itself, or the accompaniments. Since the taco is going to be simple tonight, let’s work on the other part. I like roasted tomato salsa, green chile queso, and fresh guacamole. Let’s just start with the guacamole tonight. Below is a simple basic recipe for guacamole for two. If you always use fresh ingredients and make it fresh, it will taste light years beyond any jarred or pre prepared stuff you buy at the store. This is a prime example of that rule. Start with this basic recipe, give it a try, and then let your creativity run wild.
Basic Guacamole for Two
- 1 Haas avocado, halved, pitted, and scooped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a medium bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat.
- Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, pepper and mash.
- Then, fold in the onions, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, and garlic.
- Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.