There are as many variations on how to prepare Chicken Parmigiana as there are cooks. It is basically fried chicken cutlets covered in melted parmesan cheese with red sauce. I usually fry my chicken while cooking the red sauce and assemble it in a baking dish and let the cheese melt in the oven while the pasta cooks. I thought I would try this recipe from the Pioneer Woman that cooks everything in the skillet. I am always a big fan of using just one skillet. Here is an interesting note about this dish. In Australia, it is a popular food in pubs. However it is usually served with “chips,” or what we know as french fries. There is a heated debate on whether the chips should be on the side or under the chicken. Weird.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cups flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cups red wine
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound long pasta of your choice
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper together on a large plate.
- Dredge flattened chicken breasts in flour mixture. Set aside.
- At this time, you can start a pot of water for your pasta.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Heat olive oil and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When mixture is hot, fry chicken breasts until nice and golden brown on each side.
- Remove chicken breasts from the skillet and keep warm.
- Without cleaning skillet, add onions and garlic and gently stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, getting all the flavorful bits off the bottom.
- Allow wine to cook down until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add sugar and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Toward the end of cooking time, add chopped parsley and give sauce a final stir.
- Carefully lay chicken breasts on top of the sauce and completely cover them in grated Parmesan.
- Place lid on skillet and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to simmer until cheese is melted and chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Add more cheese to taste.
- Place cooked noodles on a plate and cover with sauce.
- Place chicken breast on top and sprinkle with more parsley. Serve immediately.