I actually made this dish back in the first week of December. It made more than enough for the three of us, so I froze the other half. I think the dish was a little loose or watery. Maybe I forgot to drain the tomatoes. I think if I were to make it again, I would add some tomato sauce or maybe some pasta water. That should help bind it together more. Anyway, try it out and let me know if it worked better for you.
Baked Chicken Penne
- 8 ounces penne
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil and prepare pasta according to directions.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and season with salt, pepper, paprika and basil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Stir in onions and peppers with a pinch of salt, cooking for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic and stir.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken in a single layer.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until browned, then flip and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, cream and parmesan cheese, mixing well to combine.
- Stir in penne.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, just until cheese is melted and pasta is warmed through.
- Serve immediately with extra cheese for grating.