It is very cold today. What better way to warm up on a cold day than soup. This soup is perfect for that task. Hot fire roasted tomatoes and fragrant Italian sausage melt the cheesy yum in the bottom of the bowl. You could use wide lasagna noodles to make it seem more like its namesake dish, but they are a bit awkward. The rotini is perfect for capturing the broth.
for the soup:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 14oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cup chicken stock
- 8 oz rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cheesy yum:
- 8 oz ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown..
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate.
- Cook for 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente.
- Right before serving, stir in the basil.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl.
- Ladle the hot soup over the cheesy yum.
- Sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top.