Happy New Year one and all! We traditionally have ham for New Year Day dinner, but this year, we are having it on the eve. I am being lazy and picking up a Honey Baked Ham, but I am pairing it with some cheddar cheese biscuits I have been baking since the early nineties. Give the a try, I think you will like them. I wish you a happy, healthful, prosperous new year filled with love!
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (about) cold buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp milk (glaze)
- Poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in processor and blend.
- Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until fine meal forms.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix in cheese.
- Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns.
- Pat out dough to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Using 3-inch-diameter cookie cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Gather scraps, pat out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut additional biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Brush biscuits with egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 minutes.