Since we are going to be eating lots of turkey over the next few days, I thought I would indulge in some beef. This recipe is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated. These recipes are amazing! Sauteing the peppercorns ahead of rubbing them on the roast tames the spiciness. Adding the nutmeg and orange zest adds more flavor back in. The flavors on this tenderloin roast are phenomenal! The pomegranate port reduction adds another layer of flavor that perfectly complements the beefiness. And of course it is so tender you can cut it with a fork. I roasted some red potatoes with rosemary and lemon to go with this. You must try this dish!
Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin Roast
- 4 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 9 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 five to six pound whole beef tenderloin , trimmed
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine salt, sugar, and baking soda in bowl.
- Heat 6 tablespoons oil and peppercorns in small saucepan over low heat until faint bubbles appear.
- Continue to cook at bare simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until pepper is fragrant, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Using fine-mesh strainer, drain cooking oil from peppercorns.
- Discard cooking oil and mix peppercorns with remaining 3 tablespoons oil, orange zest, and nutmeg.
- Set tenderloin on sheet of plastic wrap.
- Sprinkle salt mixture evenly over surface of tenderloin and rub into tenderloin until surface is tacky.
- Tuck tail end of tenderloin under about 6 inches to create more even shape.
- Rub top and side of tenderloin with peppercorn mixture, pressing to make sure peppercorns adhere.
- Spray kitchen twine with vegetable oil spray and tie tenderloin, spacing twine at 2-inch intervals.
- Transfer prepared tenderloin to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet, keeping tail end tucked under.
- Roast until thickest part of meat registers about 125 degrees for medium-rare, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Transfer to carving board and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove twine and slice meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Serve with Pomegranate Port Sauce.
Pomegranate Port Sauce
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2cups ruby port
- 1 shallot , minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter
- Add pomegranate juice, port, shallot, sugar, vinegar, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt,and thyme to sauce pan.
- Simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cook until reduced to 1 cup, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Strain sauce through fine-mesh strainer and return to saucepan.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.