My wife has been craving that wonderful, silky, soothing lemon chicken soup from Pete’s Central One restaurant. Otherwise known as Avgolemono Soup. I read several recipes out on the web and found a lemon chicken soup recipe in my computer files from the late 90s. After reading all these and thinking about it for a day, I decided to give it a try.
- 4 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces orzo
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- Add onions and sauté on medium low for 8 minutes.
- Add flour and cook additional 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Deglaze with wine.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth.
- Set heat to medium and simmer.
- In medium bowl add eggs and lemon juice.
- Whisk to combine.
- While whisking continuously, slowly add 4 ladles soup to egg mixture.
- While whisking soup continuously, add egg/lemon/soup mixture back to soup pot.
- Add chicken.
- Add orzo and stir continuously until cooked.
- Add pepper to taste.
- If soup is too thick for you, add the remaining 2 cups broth.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Enjoy with warm pita bread!