I have been wanting some tacos all week. Not just the ho hum ground beef tacos, but something more interesting. Tacos that are more substantial, but comforting. That makes me think of the slow cooker. So, I started looking at recipes for slow cooked pork carnitas. You can find lots of then on foodgawker. Of course I wanted to brown the meat before putting it in the slow cooker for extra flavor. The choices were what to rub the meat with. The next choices were about liquid. One recipe mentioned adding tequila. Well, I could not pass that up! The final choices are about what goes into the hot tub with the meat. I took an easy route with adding a cup of salsa, but of course that can be store bought or home made. Finally, the toppings are whatever you like them to be. This is a nice easy recipe you can start in the morning, or even the night ahead. Just keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook it all day.
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4 pounds)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 (7oz) can chopped green chilies
- Toppings as desired
- Cut the pork roast in half.
- Rub with olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides in skillet.
- Place in Slow cooker
- Add onions, garlic, cilantro, salsa, chicken broth, tequila, and chilies.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the meat, and shred.
- Place the pork back in the slow cooker.
- Cover and heat for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Serve in warm tortillas and top as desired.